Like so many other popular events, this year’s National Night Out put on annually by our Crime Watch Committee decided to take the festivities online. While we weren’t able to gather in person as usual at Skyview and eat pizza and chat with each other, some valuable information and relevant speakers were welcomed online.
- Councilman Adam McGough, our representative in city government, outlined his priorities and concerned with public safety in Dallas. He also shared budget issues, tax updates, and his thoughts on our chief of police situation. The deputy mayor pro tem also provided information on Bonton Gardens, a pet project of his designed to alleviate homelessness.
- P.J. Meitl, a federal prosecutor for North Texas, gave the latest information on the federal crime fighting program Project Safe Neighborhood. The program has been a resounding, award-winning success, and Meitl talked about the future for the Lake Highlands initiative.
- City Attorney Avvannett Gezehan talked about the city’s big win over some problematic slot machine-driven businesses, and addressed the challenging “party house” situation for our area.
- Graham Bryant, our Crime Watch coordinator, read out the crime statistics for our neighborhood to date.
- Justin McOskar, our lead DPD officer for Crime Watch, discussed how this year’s pandemic has impacted crime for our neighborhood.
- Mark Duval, the manager of our Volunteers in Patrol (VIP) program, talked about training and adjustments stemming from the Coronavirus.
Our dedicated Crime Watch committee leads, Judy Sebesta and Stu Barab, led all the discussions and answered questions while managing the online platform.
A special thanks to the local businesses that provided virtual “door prizes” for attendees – please consider visiting them and passing along our thanks!
- The Store in Lake Highlands
- White Rock Coffee
- Cedar & Vine
- Shady’s Burgers & Brewhaha
- Lake Highlands Shooting Center
- Luxx Nail Salon
If you missed the event or would like to revisit our presentations, they’re available online on the National Night In YouTube Playlist.