Don’t be an easy target – keep your garage doors closed!
One of the easiest ways for thieves to gain access to your home is through open garage doors – keep your family and possessions safe by always closing your garage when you’re not present. Not only will it keep you safe, it might help with you summer energy bills, as the largest opening in your home an open door can significantly increase the temperature of your home when left home for a prolonged period.
If you’re already vigilant about keeping your garage doors closed, here are a few extra tips to safeguard your home:
- Beef up the security of the entry to your home from your garage. It’s the number 1 security weak spot in most garages. Secure it with a dead bolt and a heavy duty strike plate just like any other exterior door to your home. Never leave this door unlocked.
- Cover your windows. If your valuables can’t be seen inside your garage or your home, it’s less likely it will be targeted. Translucent window film lets in light but keeps valuables out of sight.
- Add lighting. Bright lights make prowlers nervous. Motion detector lighting is better than ones that are on all night because it saves energy when it’s off but attracts attention when it’s on.
- Install and use your security system regularly.
- Hide garage door opening devices. If you have a handheld garage door opener in your car, lock your car! Otherwise, you’re giving someone someone easy access to your garage and maybe even your home.
- Know your neighbors. The beauty about Town Creek is that our neighbors are friendly! Build relationships with your neighbors. Keep an eye out for odd or suspicious activity and call/text Crime Watch.